WHAT IT MEANS TO BELONG
Throughout the Summit day, one theme was central: the importance of belonging. As a result, the Imagine Fox Cities coordinating committee chose Belonging in the Fox Cities as an initial focus of its work to inspire community action.
What action can you take right now?
- Listen to the recording of our August 20, 2020, community convening: Antiracism, Belonging and Community.
- Check out our Conversations on Race: Community Conversations Host Guides. The goals of these conversations are to listen and share personal stories without judgement in order to create a foundation upon which to take action together to eliminate racism.
- Host a conversation on race using the conversation guides. Do you want help with leading a conversation? Request a facilitator here.
- Educate yourself about antiracism by using one or more of the resources on our list of videos, websites, podcasts and books.
- Share the availability of these opportunities with people you know: family, friends, coworkers, community and business leaders, faith community.
- Follow us on Facebook!
Hall, Karyn. (2014). Create a Sense of Belonging: Finding ways to belong can help ease the pain of loneliness
Pogosyan, Marianna (2017). On Belonging: What is Behind our Psychological Need to Belong?
Strayhorn, Terrell L. (2018). Five Things to Know About Students’ Sense of Belonging: Insights From My Uber Driver’s Daughter
Brene Brown. Quest for Belonging: An Interview with Chase Jarvis
HOW TO FOSTER BELONGING IN THE COMMUNITY
Community Commons- Dialogue guide to strengthen a sense of belonging and connection by reflecting on the personal and community impact of the coronavirus pandemic. http://www.communitycommons.org/entities/c707bce6-9309-43cd-8ca1-92e3e98f95d2
Principles & Practice of Community Placemaking- Guide to provide a basic understanding of key principles of community design for local officials, technical professionals and citizen planners involved in planning and development. https://blogs.extension.wisc.edu/community/files/2014/08/Placemaking-Document-Principles-and-Practice-of-Community-Placemaking-updated-5-14-14.pdf
Teaching Tolerance- Free resources to K-12 educators to supplement curriculum, inform practices, and create civil and inclusive school communities where children are respected, valued and welcome participants. https://www.tolerance.org/
Give Help, Get Help Fox Cities https://givehelpgethelpfoxcities.org/
Tamarack Institute “Building Virtual Communities of Practice”- https://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/webinar-building-virtual-communities-of-practice
Tamarack Institute “Ending Loneliness and Social Isolation: A Public Health Perspective”- https://www.tamarackcommunity.ca/library/endling-loneliness-and-social-isolation